Know as the historical road, the Ho Chi Minh trail lies along the S-shape of Vietnam and goes through a lot of historical sites, interesting attractions and beautiful nature. Plenty of the Ho Chi Minh Trail Motorcycle tours are provided by Motorbike tour companies in Vietnam. We designed some different itineraries on this trail but this 8 Day motorcycle tour on Ho Chi Minh trail is the one we highly recommend because it doesn’t take too long or too short, The tour is on the most beautiful and quiet part and especially it offers a short ride up to the northern mountain area where you can see many different things that you will never see a long the trail.
Day 1: Hanoi – Phu Yen : 160 Km ( L,D – Hotel stay)
There are 2 great roads to ride up to Phu Yen – a little charming town of Son La province: one is from the old quarter of Hanoi, we hit the dike road along the Red river go through some paddies then get to Son Tay town where you can have visit to Duong Lam ancient village then join the road N0 32 up to Phu Yen. Another way is from the western outskirt of Hanoi, motorbike ride to the west to cross the Da river and head up to the north of Vietnam to Phu Yen via some rustic villages on the small roads. On both ways, you can have chance to see large and green tea fields and the beautiful mountain view in the afternoon when we get far away from Hanoi. We finish early the first enjoyable day of the 8 Day Vietnam Motorbike Tour on Ho Chi Minh Trail at about 4:30 PM. Leave the bikes at the hotel and have short walk to around the town to see the daily life of the local.
Day 2: Phu Yen – Mai Chau: 150 Km (B,L,D – Home stay)
This is short and easy motorbike tour to Mai Chau valley but it could be the highlight of the Ho Chi Minh trail motorcycle tour. Start the day at about 8:30 Am, right after getting out if the town, we will ride along the Da river lake on the winding road to enjoy the rice fields, the lake view and seeing the Muong people standing on the roadside waving their hands and say “Xin Chao” or “hello” . After crossing the river, we motorcycle up and up to Moc Chau plateau where is famous for cool weather and green tea. Lunch is in Moc Chau town, after lunch we will ride on the the Hua Tat pass-the winding back-road which is typical for motorcycle touring roads. It offers amazing mountain view. Today is a short ride but it could be the most enjoyable part of the motorcycle tour in northern Vietnam. we arrive Mai Chau valley at about 5:00 PM.
Day 3: Mai Chau – Tan Ky : 270 Km (B,L,D – Hotel stay)
Start the day with a local coffee and enjoy the view of green mountain and rice fields from the Thai’s stilt house. After breakfast, say good bye to the peaceful village of Mai Chau, we keep riding on a small, spectacular and paved trail along the Ma river until Cam Thuy town where we stop for lunch and from here we will join the Ho Chi Minh trail and start the great motorbike tour on the trail to Tan Ky town.
Tan Ky is a very small town located on the roadsides of the Ho Chi Minh trail, It is know as the starting point of the legendary Ho Chi Minh trail in north Vietnam where the northern Vietnamese troops start the long trip to the DMZ and south Vietnam.
Enjoy simple breakfast served by local people and then keep motorcycle touring on Ho Chi Minh trail, This part of the trail is very smooth so the ride will be very relaxed, the scenery will be more and more beautiful when we get closer to the Phong Nha – Ke Bang National Park – the UNESCO World Natural Heritage site. The karst formation of Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park has evolved since the Paleozoic (some 400 million years ago) and so is the oldest major karst area in Asia. Subject to massive tectonic changes, the park’s karst landscape is extremely complex with many geographic features of considerable significance. The vast area, extending to the border of the Lao People’s Democratic Republic, contains spectacular formations including 65 km of caves and underground rivers.
If time permits, we can have short boat ride a long the green water river to some amazing caves. After a beautiful motorbike ride on Ho Chi Minh trail.
From Phong Nha, the Ho Chi Minh Trail is divided into 2 branches one in the eastern side and another one is in the western side. Vietnam Motorbike Tour Expert recommends to ride on the western Ho Chi Minh trail. The western trail goes through the National park of Phong Nha – Ke Bang, in more than 200 km of trail, you will just see few other motorbikes but a lot of beautiful mountain view. Especially, we will get chance to visit the former US Merine Base with tunnels, Air base and a interesting museum built on the battle field. This ride today on the western side of the trail is for sure the highlight of the Ho Chi Minh trail motorcycle tour. We finish the day at around 5:00 PM at the hotel in the little town of Khe Sanh.
After breakfast, we will ride motorcycle on the road N0 9 along the 17th parallel – the former border between the north and south of Vietnam. We will do some stops to visit the famous historical vestiges such as: Hien Luong Bridge on the Ben Hai river – the border between the North and South Vietnam and Vinh Moc tunnel where thousands of the local live and tens of children were born during the war time… This motorcycle tour to Hue provide you plenty of historical sites and information about the Vietnam War.
After lunch we will join the high way No 1 and experience the adventure motorcycle ride in the busy traffic. We will be in the beautiful city of Hue at 5:00 PM.
Day 7: Discovering Hue (B,L – Hotel stay)
Hue is one of 3 capital cities of Vietnam during thousand years of history, but unlike the others, Hue remains a lot of originally historical vestiges as in this ancient Capital City.
On the Northern bank of Perfume River has relics consisting of palaces, which were constructed as arc defensive ramparts with 11km length. This valuable construction includes more than 100 architectural works which were extremely reflected the life of Emperors and mandarins under Nguyen’ reign. Situated in the middle of hills on the Southern bank of Perfume River are very beautiful tombs of Nguyen Kings. Among these tombs are the four famous ones with the name and the arrangements of the tomb reflected each Emperor’s points of view, personality, and tastes. This is majestic Gia Long tomb, imposing Minh Mang tomb, poetic Tu Duc tomb and magnificent Khai Dinh tomb.
Hue is also an important center of Buddhism. In Hue and its surrounding still exist tens of pagodas constructed more 300 years ago, and a hundred of temples and pagodas built in the early century. They take an important role in making Hue more attractive.
Besides, Hue is a place where the royal music is originated, and a place with traditional famous dishes and sophisticated handicraft.
As a unique city of Vietnam still remains its form of City under Middle Age and the constructions of monarchic, Hue has become a big and an invaluable museum. Therefore, vestiges in Hue ancient capital have been classified by the government as a very precious property and on December 1993 Hue has been recognized as a World Cultural Heritage Site by UNESCO. There are air way and railway from Hanoi to Hue, but take a motorbike tour from Hanoi to Hue on the Ho Chi Minh trail is always great choice for any bikers.
After breakfast, taking a bus or having a short motorcycle tour around Hue in the morning to see some famous attraction such as: Citadel, Famous temples/Pagodas and boat trip on the Perfume River. After lunch, free time relaxing, free to choose your dinner
Overnight in Hue.
Day 8: Hue – Hoi An : 170 Km
The last day is the easiest day and could be the highlight of the trip. Instead of riding motorcycle on busy highway No 1, we will get out to the eastern side of Hue city to have more enjoyable motorcycle tour on the coastline, through some fishing villages, coastal roads, crossing plenty of colourful tombs built by the local people and cross the famous Hai Van Pass – the most beautiful pass in central Vietnam. The Ho Chi Minh trail motorcycle tour will end in Hoi An at about 4.00 PM, check in the room and say good bye to the Vietnam Motorbike Tour Expert staff!
Our tour price is based on NUMBER OF GUESTS (the more people in the group, the less money each person will pay) and TYPE OF BIKES (the smaller bike you take, the less money you will pay). Please contact us for the right price, or you can view the sample price below for the regular tours North Vietnam by 125cc – 150cc bikes:
- Tour for group of private solo rider: 200 USD/Day
- Tour for group of 2 riders: 150 USD/Day/Person
- Tour for group of 3 riders: 140 USD/Day/Person
- Tour for group of 4 – 10 riders: 130 USD/Day/Person
- Airport pick up/drop off, Support vehicle or Air tickets are not included but they can be arranged depending on your request with the extra cost
- The extra cost to upgrade to Honda CRF250L is $40 USD/Bike/Day.
- The extra cost for the backup vehicle + driver is $150 USD/Day.
- The prices listed above are only for the Northern Loop Vietnam motorcycle tours, Other special motorcycle tours on Ho Chi Minh trail or crossing the border to Laos or Cambodia… will cost more. Please contact us for more details.
- The tour price can be different depending on the low/high tourist season or other special requests, Please contact us to get the right price of tours.
Tour price includes:
- Experienced English speaking tour guides (2 tour guides/mechanic for a group from 5 riders)
- Quality Honda XR150L or Honda CRF250L or other bikes we have with all fuel
- Quality Helmets/Gloves/Knee and elbow pads/Rain jackets/pants
- All meals on tour (All breakfasts, lunches and dinners with local Vietnamese food)
- Accommodation on tour (twin share room in standard hotel or stay at homestay as mentioned in itinerary)
- Boat rides on lakes or rivers as mentioned in itinerary
- All entrance fee / Permits
- Hotel pick up/drop off before and after the tour
- Video of the trip made by updated GoPro
Tour price excludes:
- Medical insurance
- Bike damages
- Personal expense
- Air tickets and visa to Vietnam
- To secure your bookings we require a minimal of 30 % deposit. Balance can be made upon arrival
- The rider is responsible for any bank charges. ( surcharge 3,5% if you pay by credit card )
- The balance can be paid by cash or credit on the first day of the trip
- If you cancel the Vietnam motorbike tour before the departure date, you will lose 100% of the deposit.
- If you cancel the tour after the departure date, you will lose 100% of the total cost/ fee of the tour for any reason.
- After departure, NO REFUNDS will be given for any reason, if you cancel the tour.
- A Damage Cost deposit of US$ 100 – 1,000 or more is required for each motorcycle for using in the guided or self-guided motorcycle tours. In case of a self-caused accident, your own participation is up to US$ 2,000 or more.
“We guarantee to deliver the best balance between cost and quality of tours”